- 1. Inspect the roof for tears and lifting edges of membrane roofs, cracks, missing or damaged flashings, and that vents, skylights, etc, are securely installed. Look for efflorescence and deterioration on masonry parapet walls, and if possible inspect the underside for evidence of leaks.
- 2. Ensure the surface is clean and dry and free of oils or other contaminants. Clean using compressed air, a sweeper, a pressure washer, and/or a degreaser. (be cautious when introducing water, as the surface must be completely dry for application and cure).
- 3. Remove silicone, coal tar, heavy scale, and loose/flakey paints or coatings if any.
- 4. Scan your roof using an infrared scanner (or equivalent method) to detect hidden moisture. (if the roof is not completely dry at the time of application, this water can evaporate and cause pinholes, blisters, and delamination in your coating).
- 5. Tape off or otherwise mask area’s you wish to protect from the coating.
- 6. Bridge joints, seams, tears, cracks, corners, and around protrusions (vents, skylights, etc) using Liquid Rubber Seam Tape. Apply a coat of your selected waterproofing over the Seam Tape, going at least 2 inches beyond the edges and allow to dry. Or instead use Geo-Textile applied via the 3-course-method
- 7. Once detail coats are dry, begin your field application. Apply your selected waterproofing to the entire surface. Allow adequate drying time and inspect for pinholes, blisters, etc, and repair as necessary before applying your next coat. Talk to your Liquid Rubber technical rep to determine which product suits your application.
- 8. Appropriate products for flat roofs include: Spray grade – SealSafe InstaSet B-200. Brush grade – SealSafe S-200. SealSafe A-205 and SealSafe PU-100 can be brushed/rolled or sprayed (with the appropriate sprayer).
Liquid Rubber Seam Tape is a peel and stick, pressure applied product designed to accept Liquid Rubber coatings onto its polyester backing.
Liquid Rubbers SealSafe PU-100 is an easy to apply, ultra-low VOC, tack-free, durable coating that offers the ultimate in protection for roofs.
Liquid Rubbers SealSafe A-205 is a brush-on, roll-on, and spray-able high-performance, acrylic, elastomeric coating that comes in a variety of colors.
SealSafe B-200 is a dual component, spray applied ‘instant-set’ protective coating designed to provide heavy-duty waterproof protection.
Liquid Rubber SealSafe S-200 is a high-performance, durable, seamless, membrane that is non-flammable, contains no VOCs or solvents and is applied by brush or roller.
Liquid Rubber EPDM Primer is the ideal solution for bonding Liquid Rubber coatings to an EPDM surface.
East of Johannesburg, the suburban development of Bedfordview is a high-end neighborhood. The region is part of an on-going effort to reinstate this part of Johannesburg to its former cultural and economic glory. The project was a 700 m² flat concrete roof of a two-story dwelling.
This commercial building needed a cost-effective rejuvenation. The roof was in relatively good shape but was nearing the end of its life. Smartly, the owners wanted to add protection before any large issues appeared. Being UV stable, water-based, containing no solvents, easily applied and cost effective, Liquid Rubber was the clear choice. Liquid Rubber SealSafe S-200 and Seam Tape was used to bridge joints, seams and penetrations. Then Liquid Rubber SealSafe InstaSet B-200 was sprayed in one coat achieving an 80 mil DFT.
Being constructed in the suburb of Morningside in Johannesburg South Africa this US$10,000,000 house features a 10-car garage, movie theatre and bowling alley in addition to a very non-traditional architectural design. The architect and contractor selected Liquid Rubber SealSafe InstaSet B-200 a spray applied instant-set waterproofing membrane to satisfy the protective needs of the concrete roof.