- 1. Inspect the roof for missing/damaged panels, loose or missing screws/bolts, decayed or missing butyl strips between panels, and that vents, skylights, etc, are securely installed.
- 2. Ensure the surface is clean and dry and free of oils or other contaminants. Clean using a pressure washer, degreaser, or other detergent as necessary.
- 3. Remove silicone, coal tar, heavy scale, and loose/flakey paints or coatings if any.
- 4. Tape off or otherwise mask area’s you wish to protect from the coating.
- 5. Bridge joints, seams, around protrusions (vents, skylights, etc) using Liquid Rubber Seam Tape. Apply a coat of your selected waterproofing over the Seam Tape, going at least 2 inches beyond the edges and allow to dry. Dab screws, bolts, or other sharp protrusions with your selected waterproofing or a compatible caulking.
- 6. Apply rust primer or rust convertor over areas of light rust to encapsulate and reduce bleed through. (If your selected waterproofing is MetalSafe, this step is not necessary).
- 7. Once rust primer and detail coats are dry, begin your field application. Apply your selected waterproofing to the entire surface. Allow adequate drying time and inspect for pinholes, blisters, etc, and repair as necessary before applying your next coat. Talk to your Liquid Rubber technical rep to determine which product suits your application.
- 8. Appropriate products for metal roofs include: Spray grade – MetalSafe InstaSet B-300, SealSafe InstaSet B-200. Brush grade – MetalSafe S-300, SealSafe S-200. MetalSafe PU-100 and MetalSafe A-205 can be brushed/rolled or sprayed (with the appropriate sprayer).
Liquid Rubber Seam Tape is a peel and stick, pressure applied product designed to accept Liquid Rubber coatings onto its polyester backing.
Liquid Rubber MetalSafe Rust Primer is used as a pre-treatment and bond enhancer for Liquid Rubber MetalSafe and other Liquid Rubber coatings when rust is present.
Liquid Rubber’s MetalSafe PU-100 is an easy to apply, ultra-low VOC, tack-free, durable coating that offers the ultimate in protection for roofs.
Liquid Rubber MetalSafe A-205 is a brush-on, roll-on, and spray-able high-performance, acrylic, elastomeric coating that comes in a variety of colors.
Liquid Rubber MetalSafe S-300 is a high-performance, durable, seamless, membrane that is non-flammable, contains no VOCs or solvents and is applied by brush or roller.
MetalSafe InstaSet B-300 is a spray applied, water-based, elastomeric coating that provides exceptional corrosion and waterproofing protection.
Agricultural environments take a lot of abuse because of the demands of today’s farmer. The metal barn roof developed leaks over time from the expansion and contraction of the underlying metal surface and chemical attack.
A large nickel mine in Northern Ontario required waterproofing and corrosion protection for a facility roof that was deteriorating due to the hard mining environment. Liquid Rubber MetalSafe™ InstaSet B-300 was chosen as the best solution and prior to applying the spray product, the large roof was being replaced every 6 years. An inspection in 2011 showed the roof in great condition without need for replacement.
A small community Ice Arena leaked for years and years. The owners got used to the drips until they learned of a solution that fit within their budget to become leak free.